Affirmations are undoubtedly the most powerful tool to change one’s life.
These are consciously chosen wishes or thoughts that are repeated continuously to bring miracles in life. With the help of affirmations, you can manifest any desire using the law of attraction.
That said, have you ever wondered how affirmation affects our mind and mindset. How does an affirmation work?
Affirmation works by re-programming the subconscious mind. Positive affirmations are statements related to your wishes or goals. When we repeat affirmations continuously, we start to believe in that statement. And, once you believe in something, you start to manifest it into reality. That’s how an affirmation work.
Let’s find out the science behind affirmation and how it affects the subconscious mind. Plus, discover why affirmations are super important to achieve one’s goals.
Ready? Let’s dive into it.
How does an affirmation work? (Science behind positive affirmation)
The only difference between success and failure is the belief system and mindset.
Successful people believe that it was possible to achieve the goal. They have a positive mindset, winning attitude, resilience to failure. They are willing to do whatever it takes to get success.
On the other hand, people who aren’t so successful have no faith and belief in their goals. They don’t have confidence in themselves to achieve anything significant in life. They don’t believe they can become successful.
And, the belief system that makes such a big difference in people’s life is created by affirmation.
What is an affirmation? Every word you speak to yourself and every thought you think are affirmations. In fact, you’re affirming right now.
Unfortunately, most people are not conscious of their thoughts. Majority of thoughts they think are negative and self-sabotaging. That’s why they attract negative experiences in their life.
You see, when we think about certain thoughts continuously, we develop a habit of thinking in a certain way. That means you’re going to think positively most of the time if you have a habit of thinking positive thoughts. Plus, habitual thinking pattern creates belief system.
Saying affirmations means you’re consciously thinking positive thoughts about your dreams and desire.
It means you’re creating a habit of thinking in a certain way instead of being a victim of unconscious negative thoughts. Eventually, you’ll create a habit of positive thinking and develop a belief system that helps you achieve your goal.
That’s how positive affirmation work.
Now, you may be wondering how we create the habit of thinking in a certain way. That’s because affirmation when repeated frequently re-programs the subconscious mind.
How affirmation affect the subconscious mind?
When you think about something or some events, our brain interprets them as events that occur in reality even though they’re thoughts only.
Our brain doesn’t know the difference between events that we perceive through sense and those created by thoughts. And, brain store these events by changing its neural connection in the form of memory.
When we think about certain thoughts related to our wishes, we create a memory of them. And, these memory gets stronger and stronger with each repetition of thoughts as neurons related to it make a better connection.
Eventually, we program the subconscious mind and become the person who has already achieved those goals.
For instance, if you tell yourself repeatedly that you have a strong physique, you’ll create a mental image of yourself with a strong physique and start to believe it.
Then, you’ll think, behave and attract unconsciously circumstance that will lead you to have a strong, muscular, and healthy body. These unconscious thoughts and behavior are the result of programming the subconscious mind.
What hampers the effect of an affirmation?
If you want your affirmation to work, you need to avoid some mistakes that most people make while trying to manifest their wishes with the help of affirmation.
Here are the things that hamper the effect of an affirmation:
- Not having a clear, specific, and accurate goal. If your affirmation is vague, it will take more time for its accomplishment.
- Having contradictory thoughts. Fear and doubt make you think that your goals are difficult to achieve. Such contradictory thoughts oppose your desire and make it difficult to manifest. So, be conscious of your thought and replace the negative thoughts with positive ones.
- Wondering how affirmation can help to achieve a goal. When you plant a tree, it will eventually grow if you nurture it. But, if you constantly check its growth, you may hamper, or in some cases stop the growth of the plant. Likewise, your affirmation will work for you. Stop checking whether it is working or not.
- Having resistance or not believing in affirmation. We all want something that is not in our reality yet. Right? Dream home, dream car, traveling to exotic places. When you tell yourself that you have already achieved your dream, your mind creates resistance. To remove resistance, create a believable affirmation, charge it with the emotion, and surrender yourself to the infinite intelligence for its accomplishment.
- Having a negative mood or lack of faith while saying the affirmation. Like attracts like. Saying affirmation while in a depressed mood won’t move the needle. Affirmation works quicker when raise your vibration with hope, happiness, and faith.
- Not having gratitude for what you have. Being thankful for the current situation means you accept your current reality and there is not any resistance. Gratitude brings positive energy to make your affirmation powerful.
- Trying to control the materialization of thought. You don’t have to be concerned about how you’re going to materialize your dream. Let go of the outcome and keep saying your affirmation knowing that it will work. When you control the process of manifestation, you create negative energy that hampers your affirmation.
- Trying to make affirmation powerful using will. The forced expression of thoughts causes resistance in the mind. Instead say your affirmation with a smile, faith, and joy.
How to make affirmations work faster?
Here are helpful tips to make your affirmation work faster:
- Use personal pronouns in your affirmation. Using word I or your name makes affirmation powerful and emotional.
- A statement that you affirm must be in the present tense. If you say something in the future tense, you’re telling the universe you want that in the future. This is the reason why you won’t’ achieve your dream.
- Make affirmation as clear, accurate, and concise as possible. Make it easier to read and understand.
- Don’t include any negative words in your affirmation. It has to be phrased positively. The mind doesn’t separate a positive and negative statement. If you say to yourself you don’t want to get late for office, you will be late. The mind doesn’t know what you don’t want. It simply responds to the statement you’re saying. Say I easily reach my office in time rather than saying I don’t want to get late.
- Don’t harm anyone with your affirmation. When you show hatred or revenge in your affirmation, it will backfire and hurt yourself.
- Make affirmation memorable and emotional. Tell yourself what you really want not what others want for you. Your wish should be only yours. It shouldn’t be forced upon you.
How does affirmation help to manifest using the law of attraction?
The law of attraction simply means you’ll attract circumstances or things according to your dominant thoughts. If you think positively you’ll attract positive experiences and negative thoughts ring negative experiences.
Even if you’re not consciously practicing the law of attraction, it is working for you. When you say yourself affirmation, you’re consciously training your mind to have positive thougths related to your goal.
Thoughts are creative energy that travels into the universe and transforms itself into reality. Affirmation send the message of your wishes and desire into the universe and eventually bring the reality you want
How does sleep affirmation work?
Just before going to sleep, our mind is in the alpha state emitting alpha waves. Alpha state of mind is the most relaxing and receptive state. During this state of mind, the gate to the subconscious mind opens so that you can easily register new information in it.
If you say your affirmation or listen to it while trying to sleep at night, you can easily reprogram your subconscious mind.
How does subliminal affirmation work?
Before we register any information into the subconscious mind, our conscious mind analyzes the information. If it is true and believable then only the conscious mind allows it to enter into the subconscious mind. That’s why affirmations that are not believable don’t bring any result.
But, you can trick the conscious mind with the subliminal affirmation. Subliminal affect someone’s mind even though they’re not aware of it as its threshold is below at which the conscious mind perceives information.
Simply, put you program your subconscious mind without interference from the conscious mind.
How long does it take for positive affirmation to work?
In most cases, it usually takes around 22 days for affirmation to work. That said, it could take 66 days or longer to get full benefits.
There is no exact number of days for positive affirmation to work. It varies from person to person. It depends on their faith, desire, and willingness to practice it.
Our thoughts are a form of energy that has the potential to materialize itself into reality.
Research has shown that a person has on average 6000 thoughts every day. However, most thoughts are negative and repeating each day.
When you practice affirmation, you consciously train your mind to think positively. Such affirmation reprograms your subconscious mind and changes your belief system.
Once you change your belief and mindset, the magic starts to happen. You start to attract success in your life.
Q1: Does writing positive affirmation work?
Yes. Similar to saying the affirmation out loud, writing positive affirmation programs your subconscious mind to change your mindset and belief system.
Q2: Why are affirmations important?
Affirmations are important to change the habit of negative thinking. It changes your belief and mindset. It helps you to get successful at your goals.
Q3: Is affirmation sin?
No. Affirmation isn’t a sin. It is the process by which we change our life by being conscious of our thougths and behavior. However, using an affirmation to hurt someone is both unethical and sinful.